Sunday, September 30, 2012

                                 

I completed my reading of Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen this weekend.  This is a powerful story that I would highly recommend to teens and pre-teens.  It is presented as the journal/diary of a 12-year-old runaway girl.  Holly has been in foster homes and been mistreated.  She finally runs away from her latest family and travels cross-country.  Her solace is found through writing in a journal given to her by her teacher.  Holly has no intention of keeping the journal or writing in it everyday, but does it anyway.  It becomes a source of healing for her.  During her travels, she stows away in a horse trailer, on a train, and in the cargo hold of a bus.  Constantly looking over her shoulder to see if authorities are after her, she spends her time looking for food and shelter each day.  Even as an adult, I couldn't help but identify with the main character.  I found myself rooting for her to escape the authorities in every situation.  I also found myself feeling thankful for what I have and convicted of thinking about things I may not have.

One of the aspects of this story that I really like, as a teacher and adult, is the fact that the author did not glorify running away.  She presented the events in the story realistically.  Being on the run did not seem glamorous by any stretch of the imagination!  Most teens and children have considered running away at some time; some have left and come back.  This story is an avenue for some very thought-provoking discussions about one's perspective on life and the realities of being on the run.  Check out the author's notes at the end of the book in which she dedicates her book to all teachers.  She feels that teachers care about their students and do everything they can to help, but seldom actually find out how the students turn out.  I find this especially true teaching elementary school.  Ms. Van Draanen encourages students to contact teachers who made a difference in their lives and thank them!

I also read Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade.  I was attracted to the book the instant I picked it up.  Who doesn't look forward to watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade each year?  Knowing the story behind all the floating balloon puppets will make it even more special this year.  Children will be inspired by the story of a little boy who liked toys and had a talent for making puppets.  Such a simple thing turned into a career for Tony Sarg.  The illustrations are perfect for the story.  I plan to get into as many classrooms at my school as I can and read this story during the couple of weeks before Thanksgiving this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment