Friday, February 8, 2013

 
I read an article from The Washington Post published February 2, 2013.  The article is entitled "Prince George's considers copyright policy that takes ownership of students' work."  Basically, this County Board of Education in the Washington area has proposed to copyright work created by staff and students for school.  Needless to say, this proposal has created quite a bit of controversy. 
 
According to the Board Chair, this is being done to establish who owns teacher-developed work while using apps on school-owned iPads.  However, the St. George's policy goes a bit further, stating that "work created for the school by employees during their own time and using their own materials is the school system's property."    This is probably an issue because of the market for lessons designed by teachers, i.e. Teachers-Pay-Teachers.  A University of Colorado professor believes the district is saying, "If there is some brilliant idea that one of our teachers comes up with, we want to be in on that.  Not only be in on that, but to have it all."
 
When questioned further, the Board Chair insisted that it was not their intention to "declare ownership" of student work.  She said they would have to restructure the language of the policy.
 
This seems like such an invasion of intellectual product.  If a teacher is employed specifically to work on a certain lesson to be used by a school or even a district, then it makes sense that it is the property of the district.  However, I have a problem with the notion that my lesson plans and any unique presentation or activity I might come up with is the property of the district.  I design lessons to meet the needs of my students in a way that I can be the most effective teacher possible.  I have never sold my lessons, but always freely share them with others.
 
How can anyone believe that student work is the property of a school district?  If a student writes an essay that wins an award, monetary or otherwise, that student should benefit from that work.  Students certainly are not employeed by the school district to produce work for the district's benefit.
 
I hope I'm able to see the outcome of this policy-making effort.  I find it hard to believe this policy will pass, but one never knows.
 


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment